Temporary Child Support—Frequently Asked Questions

Child support typically begins at the beginning of a divorce proceeding.

Child support is paid by the noncustodial spouse to the custodial spouse through the Friend of the Court, and by Michigan law must be paid by income withholding through the noncustodial spouse's employer. Support is determined by the needs of the child and the custodial parent, and by the ability of the noncustodial parent to pay support. "Needs" and "ability" are determined by the Michigan Child Support Formula, the use of which is mandatory by Michigan law. The formula is based upon the net earnings of both spouses. In addition to child support, the noncustodial spouse may also be ordered to pay a portion of child care expenses, medical insurance for the minor children and spouse, and certain debts of the parties.

Continue to Parenting Time